Ever wonder what your name means or why your parents gave you the name you bear? Onomatology is the study of proper names, and it really helps in the quest to describe us. For instance, my parents named me Michael, which means “like God.” I’m sure that’s no surprise to those of you who know me!! Seriously, for me to know what my name really means to me, I must discover what God is like.
The next few weeks, I am going to be posting entries about the different names, or descriptions of God throughout the Bible. Each name is used to describe who God is and what He can do. I hope you’ll go along with me on this journey so that you can personally experience who God is for yourself. I’ve even prepare some graphics of each name of God. You’re welcomed to collect these if you like them.
There are some good reasons to understand the names of God:
- God’s character is revealed through His names.
- God reveals our need through His names.
- The nature of our redemption is revealed through His names.
- We can know what to expect of life through His names.
- We can come to know God better through His names.
- We can come to know the riches of our true identity through His names.
- Praising the names of God brings to light that particular characteristic.
I invite you to walk this path with me, even if you don’t have a relationship with God. I further encourage you to post questions and comments about my posts. I look forward to sharing with you my great Savior, and through His names and by experience, you will have a greater understanding of who God really is.
You ready? Let’s go!